Denton Golf Club Manchester a brief history.
The course was planned and laid out in 1909 by W.J.Leaver who was the professional at Worsley golf club near Manchester. The club was operated from a terrace cottage at 18 Jackson Street adjacent to the current 9th green.
The original course was 9 holes and in 1910 this was extended to 18, at the same time the first clubhouse was erected at a cost of £1,300 which equates to around £100,000 in todays values. It was opened by Sir Bosdin Leech Chairman of the Manchester Corporation Water Works, to whom the land belonged.
The timber clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1922 and was replaced by a more modern building in December of the same year.
This building stood until 1998 although in 1940 it was struck by a German bomb which rendered it unusable until it was reconstructed in 1950.
The old club house was demolished after the opening of the new building in 1998.