Founded 1909. The course was planned and laid out in 1909 by W.J.Leaver who was the professional at Worsley golf club near Manchester. The club was operated from a terrace cottage at 18 Jackson Street adjacent to the current 9th green. The original course was 9 holes and in 1910 this was extended to 18, at the same time the first clubhouse was erected at a cost of £1,300 which equates to around £100,000 in today values. It was opened by Sir Bosdin Leech Chairman of the Manchester Corporation Water Works, to whom the land belonged.